WFNB Literary Competition 2013 Rules
The 2013 competition will open December 15, 2012 and close on February 28, 2013.
The WFNB Annual Literary Competition was established in 1984, and awards prizes of $1700 each year.
The competition is open to New Brunswick residents, non-residents born in New Brunswick, and to all members of the WFNB regardless of location.
Professional, out-of-province writers judge entries for a very reasonable fee. All judging is blind (i.e. the judges will not know whose manuscript they are reading).
The results of the competition are announced in the spring at the WFNB Awards Soirée held during WordsSpring and all winning entrants are invited to attend and read from their work. Winners receive a cash prize and provincial, and often national recognition. The top five in each category will receive brief comments on their work.
Dozens of competition winners have gone on to publish their work in magazines and with major publishing houses. (Editors are always impressed with contest winners!)
The WFNB encourages all New Brunswick writers to take pride in their work and enter the competition!
ENTRY FORM HERE (not mandatory, but helpful)
1. Entries in Individual Poem category should not exceed 100 lines. Short Fiction category should not exceed 4,000 words, Creative Non-Fiction should not exceed 3,000 words. Children’s Literature category alternates between writing for juvenile and young adults, with 2013 being writing for children 4 – 8 years of age, word limit 3,000. Entries for the Bailey Prize must be between 48 and 96 pages, while entries for the Richards Prize must be between 15,000 and 30,000 words.
2. Entries must be original (the author’s own work) and not previously published.
3. First place winners from the previous year cannot enter category in which they won.
4. The competition is open to both published and unpublished writers.
5. Prizes may not be awarded at the discretion of the judges.
6. Entries except poetry* must be typewritten, 1.5 or double spaced, on one side of 8 1/2 x 11″ paper, pages numbered. Text only; entries with illustrations will not be accepted. *Poetry submissions should be single spaced.
7. Directors and executive of the WFNB are ineligible to enter.
8. Author’s name, entry title and category in which it is entered must be on a separate page.
9. Do not submit your only copy. Do not submit a self address stamped envelope as manuscripts will not be returned. Winners will be notified in April prior to WordsSpring in May. A list of winners will be posted on the website announced via news release to the media.
10. Mail entries or direct enquiries to: WFNB, PO Box 306, Moncton, NB E1C 8L4. Entries to the Sheree Fitch Prize may be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. Multiple submissions are allowed, but an entry fee of $20 (members) $25 (non-members) should accompany each submission in the Individual Poem, Short Fiction, Writing for Children and Non fiction categories; the Richards Prize & Bailey Prize manuscript categories should be accompanied by a $30 fee, $35 for non members; *there is no fee to enter Sheree Fitch Prize, but there is a limitation of 2 entries per person. Fitch Prize entrants must be 18 years or younger as of the competition’s deadline.
direct inquiries to:
WFNB Literary Competition
P.O. Box 306
Moncton, NB E1C 8L4
Phone: (506) 459-7228